I went to my first Zumba class yesterday. A friend of mine goes regularly and likes it, so I figured I’d give it a try. This is what I learned.
- I am rhythmically challenged. Asking me to do stuff in time with a beat only works if I can copy someone else’s moves at first.
- Please don’t ask me to do sexy moves in my workout clothes. The only way I am going to shake my ass or move my hips seductively is if you let me have some alcohol first.
- When starting a new routine, it might be helpful if you actually demonstrated them, instead of slightly moving your body and saying, “and then we’ll do salsa, mambo, bla bla bla, you’ve got it”. No, I didn’t get it, and it’ll take me three of the five minutes that this routine lasts to get it.
- Always stand in the back, where less people can see your pathetic attempts.
- A sense of humor helps. Being able to laugh at yourself is useful, too.
- Once I got over the whole awkwardness of it, it actually was fun. The hour did go really fast and it was a good workout. I think that if I went back I might be able to do the moves more confidently and get more out of the class.
- Zumba turns out to be a really good way to prepare for a wedding, considering all the time I spent dancing last night. Of course, I could thank the champagne and wine for that..
Conclusion? I still think it’s weird to do pelvic grinds in a workout. But, I have to say, it sure is a fun way to get me out of my comfort zone!