– I’ve been saying for years that I want a Dutch oven. I just clicked on a link for one and it turns out I was kind of hazy on the concept since all it is is a cast iron pan, the ones I’ve used for years to make stews and the like. Well, that’s another thing off my bucket list now.
– I got my first speeding ticket (5 km over the speed limit) and had to pay the justice department 35 euros. Ouch. I had kind of hoped to have had my license a bit longer before reaching this milestone, but oh well. At least I’m still a cautious driver at this point so the fine was a small one.
– I still had a H&M gift card from my birthday (back in March! Why haven’t I been shopping between then and now?) so I trudged into the city to spend it today. And came home with all kinds of basics, like tank tops and socks. I also tried on approximately five million pairs of skinny jeans, but I think I might have to give up on those since my calves are clearly too awesome to fit into skinnies.
– I head up to Salzburg on Wednesday for what promises to be a great conference: Resistance and Readiness: Immigration, Nativism and the Challenge of Ethnic and Religious Diversity in the US and Europe Today. I’ve never been to Austria so that is exciting. (Less exciting is the prospect of having to use my (non-existent) networking skills, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.)
– This happened in the little town I grew up in. The power of social media..luckily my mom got through the night fine, although she said it kind of sounded like a war was happening outside. I was kind of amazed to see footage of our sleepy little town on the national news the next day.
That’s all I’ve got today. Tell me about you, what assorted things are happening in your life?